Great Tips for Writing a College Essay
Every student, keen on continuing the education in university, sooner or later faces the necessity to write a college essay and that’s where most of the troubles begin.
Some students feel completely at loss being unaware of all the requirements; which is why here we provide several helpful tips on how to write a good college essay to attract the eye of any reader.
Preparation to Writing a Good College Essay
The right time for students to start writing a good college essay is during summer holidays, just before the main studying semester, as this is the time when home tasks and additional assignments do not occupy the biggest part of the time and your powers.
Beginning in time will also provide students with enough time for creating some rough copies of an essay before college application deadlines, which can start from the pre last month of the year.
Students can check on the Internet the main essay regulations for the colleges they want to enter, such as word frames and essay themes. A lot of students can begin with the Common App, an application court recognized by around 1000 schools.
Besides the main paper, some academies ask candidates to introduce some additional writing tasks. Students are usually requested to interpret why they want to enter a specific school or academic sphere in these additional documents, which has to be smaller than the main essay.
Students will wish to dedicate more time to the writing process if the schools they want to enter require additional essays.
What is The Size of a College Essay Has to Be?
However the Common App – which students can apply to a few academies – says that there are no severe word frames for the main essay, normally it has to be not more than 700 words.
How to Write a College Level Essay?
The Common App official page affirms: “Usually, we do not stop reading your essay when it is over 650 words, but we cannot guarantee you that it will still keep our attention in the same way as the beginning”.
The words frame is much more limited for additional academic essays, it is usually not more than 300 words.
Learn how to write a college paper
Pay close attention to the thesis statement. The introduction is very important because it is the part that has to hook the attention of a reader. Thus, the beginning of your essay should be exciting and organized appropriately. The cornerstone on this stage is a thesis statement, which is a brief description of the key ideas that you are going to reveal in the body paragraphs. It is absolutely necessary and inescapable.
Accordingly, it is important, that the insertion to the college essay conquer the viewer’s attention and make him wish to read more. What makes a good college essay?
There are various college essay tips to capture a viewer.
- Begin with an interesting question.
- Start with a brave affirmation.
- Add a provocative citation.
- Allocate the viewers in the center of the story. Place your audience in the middle of current events or a discussion.
- Provoke the viewer, starting a direct discussion with him/her.
- Inform the viewer what you do NOT wish to perform in your work.
- Often even the only one word that is instead of a full paragraph can impress and attract the viewer.
- Keep your focus of the essay narrow. Students, who haven’t done that task before, tend to make their essays over-packed with too many experiences or facts, which only ruins the impression from the piece of writing. It is a sound idea to choose one particular experience or idea around which you have to unfold the story of your essay by adding relevant arguments or illustrative examples.
- Be genuine in your essay. When we think about the writing prompt for students, a very extremely simple but yet invaluable piece of advice comes to mind – be sincere while writing your essay. The college admission board will definitely appreciate your own ideas and feelings on the topic more than some imagined or borrowed thoughts.
Stop trying so much. Robinson tells: “One of the most common mistakes students do is putting all their efforts to surprise”. Also, he adds: “Believe that it is those every day, concrete themes that are much more attractive to read about”.
As Robinson said: “Colleges are exhausted from reading about the period when you became a ballroom dance champion in your city or when you were doing repairs at a local nursing home”. Be originative!
Besides, your writing style has to be unique and unrepeatable. “These works should read like intelligent, attractive 17-year-olds created them”, tells Lacy Crawford, ex autonomous academic application consultant and writer of Early Decision. “A feeling of possibility and self-awareness is what it is amusing.”
Keep the rules. While the regulations on the applications may seem common, and sometimes repetitive after applying to different academies, Rawlins says that every rhyme has a root.
“They should be informed that the college set plenty of rules and regulations and they have to keep them!” he tells. “We have thought a long time of phrases you have to use. We want you to follow it.”
Make your paper proper and stunning. Time frames should look nice as well. You can make your work stunning by taking care of a few moments. Use an easily readable font. Think well whether or not bold typeface could make your work acceptable. Do not make a mess around the top of the page, but keep the balance in the middle of each page and close to margins. Give the essay hint at the beginning. Logically share the paragraphs, either by defining each paragraph or by using the block method, saving all the words on the left side but adding extra area between paragraphs.
If you have plenty of mistakes in your work, it cannot be attractive. Double-check attentively for all kinds of mistakes. Make sure your main punctuation is proper.
Did you divide dialogue properly from the main text? Did you use capitalization properly? Have a look at our article on the most general mistakes in academic works for tips for writing college essays.
- Check the essay before turning it in. Students believe that writing a good essay for college ends with typing the last dot. Frankly speaking, that is half of the work, another one lies in the fact that the essay should be proofread thoroughly and many times if you want to impress the college admission board in a positive way.
The last tools! If you are facing the problems with writing a good college essay, you might decide to go to WeWriteOnline.com where you can ask how to write a good college essay and have a look at free examples, or check the platform for ways to start a college essay. Finally, if English is not your native language, you might need to check what makes a good college essay and some useful tools on how to improve your English skills to stay plain and logical in your writing.
DOS & DON’TS in academic paper writing:
- Use private data: show, don’t say.
- Be laconic.
- Make different sentence composition and use conversions.
- Use dynamic voice verbs.
- Give the answers and keep the instructions.
- Look for a few positions.
- Stay concentrated as you are limited with words.
- Review, review, review, and edit.
- Write chronologically – it can be monotonous.
- Do not write what you consider admission officers wish to see or hear as well as use language that is not typical for you.
- Protect your position without background and any proves and samples.
- Write the same that in your activity abstract.
- Use jargon.
Your nature is the most difficult thing for admission officers to estimate. Writing a good college essay is your opportunity to show who you are – your hobbies, lifestyle, and honesty Stay yourself!
Writing a good college essay is not a daunting task if you stay focused on it, try to be open and creative. Believe in yourself and good luck with your essay!