Self-Care Tips for College Students
Take a minute to think about your body and brain as living beings that also need help and support. We used to take care of our physical shape because we wanted to be more fit and attractive. However, you should understand that the body is closely related to the mind and both of them need some rest and nourishment. If you want to stay focused on your study, you need to check out some self-care tips for college students. Our tips will help you increase your productivity and become happier.
If you think that you will do more by staying up all night and skipping your meals, you are not right. By doing harm to your body and mind, you will not be able to reach the anticipated result and if you manage to reach it, you will be too tired to enjoy it. Preparing for the test for days and nights, you may end up forgetting everything right after pressing press the “Start” button. As a result, your academic reputation will suffer. What to do? If you want to become a good college student without sacrificing your health and personal life, make sure to check our guide as it contains several self-care ideas for college students that will improve your life.
Self-care is mental, physical, and emotional hygiene that we all should have. It has nothing to do with selfishness. On the contrary, the better we care for ourselves the more energy we have to care for others. Just think about it – when you are drained physically, emotionally and mentally, how do you feel? Is it a state in which you can help others and achieve your own goals? Our wellbeing is our own business, and when life gets hectic we should know how to handle the stress and not forget about the basics. Here are the tips for taking care of yourself, even if life gets chaotic:
- Sleep at least 7-8 hours daily. Forget about all-nighters because in the end they will drain most of your energy. If you don’t give brain enough time to rest it will refuse to work properly;
- Drink enough water and eat healthy. Not any liquid you want, but water. Not soda, coffee or tea – water. Got it? You should drink 30 milliliters of water for one kilogram of your body’s weight on a daily basis. Do it regularly and you will have fewer problems with health. As for the food – focus on fruit, vegetables, whole grains and lean protein. Pizza, cookies and donuts will not make you healthier, though you can eat them once in a while;
- Exercise regularly. You need it not just to look good, but to feel better. Pick whatever you like – running, jogging, cycling, circuit training and practice it regularly at least 30 minutes 5 times a week. If you start exercising today, your future-self will say a huge thank you in 20 years;
- Help others. You may think, “What does it have to do with self-care?” Well… a lot! When you shift your focus from your needs to other people’s needs, your life becomes much more meaningful and you get more energy to achieve your goals. Volunteer, help your friends say hi to a neighbor or cook dinner for someone who needs it. It’s easy!
- There are so many benefits of meditation, that you will scratch your head while reading tons of surprising research reports from the scientific world. The short conclusion is this – we need it just as we need water and exercise if we want to live happy and fulfilled lives. Try mindfulness meditation;
- Learn how to say “No.” If you are a “yes” person, people will always use it. However, the best thing you can do for yourself is to learn how to say “no” to people. Your friend is asking you to help with his/her homework but you are too tired? Say “no.” Your classmate is asking you for a book but you need it as well? Say “no.” Although you may feel uncomfortable because of your refusals, you will see that that by practicing this advice, your life will be much better;
- Protect your time. Making a good schedule is one of the best self-care tips for college students. Of course, there will be the things or events that won’t fit it. However, being organized is a great skill that will help you succeed in the future, no matter what career you choose. Pay attention that when making a schedule, you should not forget to include the time for having a rest. Refreshing the mind is a great technique that should be practiced by every student;
- As for additional techniques of self-care for college students, you should not forget about your hobbies. For every person, a hobby is an activity that allows to forget about the daily routine. By refusing from your hobbies for the sake of the study, you will make a wrong decision because a hobby helps the person to refresh the mind, which is particularly important. Do you like reading? Great! Make sure to spend a few minutes of hours reading an interesting book, and your study results will become higher;
- Communicate with positive people. The surrounding people play a huge role in our life. Your friends should not use you only as a studying assistant or a person, who would listen to all their concerns anytime. Good friends will always share their positive energy with you helping you face all the challenges and hardships. Yes, a good friend is hard to find but if you manage to find one, you will feel calmness and balance;
- Do not be afraid of spending your time alone. Although you may think that it is one of the weirdest self-care tips for college students, keep in mind that you are a great universe full of creative ideas, bright thoughts, and interesting reflections. Do not call your friend every time you stay alone. Enjoy communication with yourself. By doing the things that are interesting to you for at least 15 minutes per day, will make yourself happier and more productive;
- Hire a writing service. If you are too tired from doing your challenging academic tasks, you should consider hiring a professional writing team and all your worries will disappear. By delegating the challenging research paper assignment on the shoulders of the experienced academic writer, you will be able to relax and focus on the things and activities that make you truly happy. WeWriteOnline.com is the writing company that will help you achieve your academic goals at a pretty affordable cost. No matter how challenging or urgent your assignment is, we are always at your disposal. After all, self-care in college is a very important thing and you should not underestimate it.
We do hope that our tips on self-care activities for college students helped you understand how to increase your productivity.
Follow these self-care tips and forget about stress!