Self-Care Tips for College Students
Self-care is mental, physical and emotional hygiene that we all should have. It has nothing to do with selfishness. On the contrary, the better we care for ourselves the more energy we have to care for others. Just think about it – when you are drained physically, emotionally and mentally, how do you feel? Is it a state in which you can help others and achieve your own goals? Our wellbeing is our own business, and when life gets hectic we should know how to handle the stress and not forget about the basics. Here are the tips for taking care of yourself, even if life gets chaotic:
- Sleep at least 7-8 hours daily. Forget about all-nighters because in the end they will drain most of your energy. If you don’t give brain enough time to rest it will refuse to work properly.
- Drink enough water and eat healthy. Not any liquid you want, but water. Not soda, coffee or tea – water. Got it? You should drink 30 milliliters of water for one kilogram of your body’s weight on a daily basis. Do it regularly and you will have fewer problems with health. As for the food – focus on fruit, vegetables, whole grains and lean protein. Pizza, cookies and donuts will not make you healthier, though you can eat them once in a while.
- Exercise regularly. You need it not just to look good, but to feel better. Pick whatever you like – running, jogging, cycling, circuit training and practice it regularly at least 30 minutes 5 times a week. If you start exercising today, your future-self will say a huge thank you in 20 years.
- Help others. You may think, “What does it have to do with self-care?” Well… a lot! When you shift your focus from your needs to other people’s needs, your life becomes much more meaningful and you get more energy to achieve your goals. Volunteer, help your friends, say hi to neighbor or cook a dinner for someone who needs it. It’s easy!
- There are so many benefits of meditation, that you will scratch your head while reading tons of surprising research reports from the scientific world. The short conclusion is this – we need it just as we need water and exercise if we want to live happy and fulfilled lives. Try mindfulness meditation.
Follow these self-care tips and forget about stress!