Communication is the process of sharing information between different individuals, groups of people or institutions. The development in informatics brought in a new wave of Internet-based communication strategies, social networking and e-mail. Today, you can send and receive information through any of the existing media such as postal mail, telegraph, courier, electronic mail, radio, and television, etc. This article will give you a detailed comparison between the use of letters and emails for communication.
A letter is a typed, printed, or handwritten communication that is sent in an envelope by messenger or a postal mail. On the other hand, an email stands for electronic mail. An email is a message that is sent via an electronic means from the user's computer to one or more receivers within a computer network. However, due to technological advancement, you can write a letter on a computer and send it to anyone around the world as an email. Additionally, emails are a recent technological development and have overtaken letters as the preferred means of communication.
The difference between letters and emails is great. First, letters were initially handwritten but today, letters can be sent electronically as emails. The use of letters gives you a chance to see the sender's handwriting. On the other hand, emails give you an opportunity to see the sender's choice of graphics or fonts. However, it may as well lack the personal touch and a sense of connection between the sender and the receiver. Additionally, you cannot use emails to send physical items as in letters. Letters give the message a personal touch in which you can express your feelings at a more personal level and even attach physical items along with the message in the letter.
A notable advantage of email over the letters is that you can quickly prepare, send and receive the message instantly. On the other hand, letters take a time to prepare, send and receive feedback. Besides, emails are cheaper as compared to letters because they do not need extra charges such as stamp fees that apply to letters. Emails are free to use once you are online. It is easy to store and organize emails rather than papers. Emails are globally used meaning that no matter where you are you can always access them. However, for letters, you have to be at the area where the letter is addressed to. Emails, on the other hand, are environmentally friendly. Emails are more vulnerable to damages as compared to letters due to factors such as the crush of the computer's hard-drive.
When you send a letter to a post office, the confidentiality of the letter is preserved until it is delivered to the intended recipient. Additionally, you can express your personal feeling in the letter. It also makes a stronger impression when you go the extra mile to put your thoughts and feelings down in a handwritten letter. It appears to be a greater sacrifice than merely composing an email. On the other hand, an email is not so confidential since it can be hacked. The safety of the message in an email may not be guaranteed because emails are saved on a computer or a computer network that is potentially unsafe. It is also almost impossible to access the information once you delete it from the inbox.
Letters and emails are similar in that:
- They both require a sender and a receiver. However, you can send an email to more than one receiver.
- Letters and emails are both non-verbal forms of communication.
- They both require a system routing to travel through.
- They are both cheaper means of telecommunication compared to moving or calling.
- Both letters and email can send conversations, salutations, and notifications about events, greetings, and information about your business or family.
- You can also attach pictures and cards in both letters and emails. However, in letters, you can put money but in emails, you cannot. In emails, you can also add a gift card and voucher codes as well.
- Also, both letters and emails always contain junk mail from time to time. They also have a mailbox of a sort.
- They both have brought about developments in task completion and development of civilization.
- Also, the emails and letters have brought about the development and protection of relationships between groups, institutions, and individuals.
- In case the end address of the receiver is wrong, both the email and the letter are usually sent back to the sender of the information.
From all indications, it would be right for you to say that emails are better than letters because of the outstanding advantages. The circumstances of the information you want to send dictates whether you should send a letter or an email to the recipient. For example, it is still popular to send business documents in the form of a letter, especially when they need to be signed. In case the paper requires a particular style and formatting you are not familiar with, it is better to have it edited or rewritten by a professional. It's good to bear in mind that you cannot send an email to a recipient who does not have an internet connection. In this case, it would be wise for you to send a letter regardless of how urgent your message is. However, if the recipient can access both emails and letters, it would be wise for you to use emails if the message is urgent.
Take Advantage of Cooperation with the Best Letter Writing Service